Netduino What did I get into here?

Electronics, Electrical, PLC's, Microprocessors, etc.
Include event name and date in the subject line

Netduino What did I get into here?

Postby charlessenf » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:08 am

Radio Shack had it for $30 so I took it home with assurances that I might easily return it if it was not my cup of tea.

Apparently, there is a difference of opinion on the value of this microprocessor learning kit - certainly as concerns those favoring the Arduino.

In reading one of the blogs discussing the relative advantages/disadvantages, I was overwhelmed.

So I thought to post the subject here to see if there was anyone with experience using the Netduino that might share his/her positive or negative experience with the processor/kit.

Before I open the sealed bag if components/microprocessor and lose hop of getting my $$ back.

By the way, what's with the names - 'duino?' what's that from??
charlessenf

Re: Netduino What did I get into here?

Postby FootHillsGeek » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:12 pm

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." - Ken Olson
FootHillsGeek
FCW Member

Postby geenathegeek » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:16 pm

It appears to be an STM32Fx ARM processor with an arduino footprint. The development environment is an embedded .NET. If you are familiar with .NET programming, it might be a good choice. If not, then almost none of the arduino software that all the tutorials use, libraries, etc. will work with it.
The only thing impossible is that which we do not attempt.
geenathegeek
FCW Member

Postby charlessenf » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:27 pm

FootHillsGeek wrote:Origin of the name:
http://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/hand ... f-arduino/

Outstanding - named after a bar!

Thanks

" The picturesque town of Ivrea, which straddles the blue-green Dora Baltea River in northern Italy, is famous for its underdog kings. In 1002, King Arduin became the ruler of the country, only to be dethroned by King Henry II, of Germany, two years later. Today, the Bar di Re Arduino, a pub on a cobblestoned street in town, honors his memory, and that’s where an unlikely new king was born.

The bar is the watering hole of Massimo Banzi, the Italian cofounder of the electronics project that he named Arduino in honor of the place."
charlessenf

Return to Electronics & Robotics